We work with lots of literary agents who do invaluable work, and we like hearing about new writers from them. So if you are interested in being published by us, it might be a good idea to find yourself an agent first. The Writers’ and Artists’ Yearbook or Agent Hunter can be good places to start.
That said, we do accept unsolicited submissions. If you have a work of fiction or non-fiction that you strongly believe would suit our list (do take the time to look at what we publish and seriously think about whether your book might fit), then please send by mail:
· A synopsis (less than a page)
· Three sample chapters (no more than 15,000 words in total)
· And a cover letter (including some information about yourself, contact details, and why you have chosen to submit your work to Canongate)
Your submission should be addressed to:
Tel: 0131 557 5111
Some things to note:
· We don’t accept submissions by email, sorry
· Or by fax, or on disk
· Yes, it’s happened
· We do not currently accept submissions of children’s books, poetry or drama
· We receive a lot of submissions and unfortunately can’t respond to them all, but each one is carefully considered by our editorial department
· If you haven’t heard from us within twelve weeks, then unfortunately your submission has not been successful
· Please do not send us anything irreplaceable as we are not able to return material or enter into any correspondence about it
We receive too many submissions to respond to each one, but they are all carefully considered by our art department. Thank you.